RENEWED

day by day
entries profile links




Friday, September 17, 2010 71: Into the Fire

In August of 1950, when the Korean War was well under way, a letter was found in the pocket of student soldier Lee Woo-geun who died while fighting in a battle to defend the Nakdong River. The letter, which the 16-year-old had failed to send off to his mother, read the following: "Mother, I killed a person. It was such a brutal death. Why do we have to go into war? I'm thinking frightening thoughts. I wish the war would end quickly and feel your warm embrace". Film "71: Into the Fire" starts with this letter.

Screencaps from the movie:



I'm not pro NK~, just loving the shots!
John H. Lee loves using backlighting and silhouette in his shots and they all turn out really nice.

It was a pretty emotional ride, maybe because of the brutality of war, maybe because of these student soldiers' sacrifice.





comment